Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Music Review

All Time Faves & Why:
O Holy Night - Anyone can sing this song and I will love it. Celine, Josh, Christina, Luciano, Mariah, Celtic Woman...doesn't matter. The song itself is just beautiful...."fall on your knees"...what we will all ultimately do in the presence of our Lord. Let's do it now and willingly.

Sleigh Ride by the Boston Pops...first Christmas song I learned when I started playing in the band in middle school. Always loved the clap of the wood blocks as the whip crack. Just so peppy. Though I'm quite sure my middle school band sounded nothing like the Pops.

Carol of the Bells by David Foster...love the base line. Orchestra conductors must love this song. So much going on.

Wizards of Winter by TSO...who DOESN'T love this??? I dig pretty much anything that gets you pumped up. Can you imagine putting ornaments on your tree to this song?? The tree would be a MESS! LOL. But you'd have a great time doing it. =)

All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey...another peppy one.


All Time Not-So-Faves:

Jingle Bell Rock & Rockin Around the Christmas Tree...just stupid.

Mary Did You Know...um, singing this song about 40 times a night for a weekend of Bethlehem Experience performances has forever curdled this song in my heart.

Christmas Shoes...ugh...no words. Just sad and over played. I'm sure lots of people love this song. I'm just not one of them.

Santa Claus is Coming to Town by The Boss...the sax solo by Clarence Clemons is the only redeeming part of this song. When Bruce starts laughing during the chorus I want to choke him.

Any song where TSO sings. The lead guy sounds like a drunken cigar smoker. Someone mute his mic!!!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

If you love TSO (non-vocal) and O Holy Night, then TSO's O Come All Ye Faithful/O Holy Night is a must add for you list. (it's on the Christmas Eve and Other Stories Album). Best vocal O Holy Night was Sandi Patti...girl gives me chills.

I actually burned an entire CD of O Holy Night version for my Mom for Christmas one year. It's her favorite song too.

As for worst, The Boss is just awful, great sax solo or not. I just have to turn the station when it comes on.

Sally Sunshine said...

I'll be home for Christmas is one of my favorites. They played it at my Grandmama's funeral Saturday. I hope I'm not forever doomed to cry when I hear it!