Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Discipline...not so easy on this side of the fence.

I used to be all about people spanking their kids. Any time I'd see a bratty kid, I'd think "How's that time-out workin' for ya, Mom with the frazzled hair and crazy eyes?" Or if a teenager was acting particularly stank, I'd think they probably didn't get their tail feathers paddled enough when they were little. I mean, I got plenty of them as a kid and I turned out great. Do you hear me, Dr. Spock? I. Turned. Out. Great. *shakes fist defiantly in the air* (Isn't that funny how I think me getting my butt whooped really showed him? Ha!)

Well...I've got news for ME. Disciplining a child...a baby...is not fun. Especially when you have real tears involved, a quivering little lip, and a sweet little face that looks up at you like you just broke her heart into tiny bits. Sure, there may be a time & place for a well deserved butt whoopin'. Now is not that time.

So how do you train a baby to grasp the concept of 'No'? Like I said, I was a child who received spankings. My mom was run ragged by my sisters and I and didn't have time for no stinkin time-out. So spanking to correct behaviors is all I know. But I DON'T WANT TO SPANK A BABY!! There just has to be another way. Yelling? John and I want to reserve yelling for when there is life-threatening circumstances that require an immediate cease-and-desist. Right now finding a distraction seems to work but I know this won't always be the case.

So that is my goal for now...praying about and finding age appropriate methods to teach and correct. Are there any good books out there that can lend some guidance? Any tips or tricks I should hear about? Bring it.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Bec, when the girls were this age, our biggest problem was having them not touch things that were off limits (books on the shelf, floor lamps, etc). We never moved them because, who has a baby proof house when you go visiting. What worked for us was a firm, "No, that's not a toy" for the first time and redirected to another part of the room with toys. If they did it right away again, it was a firm "No, that not a toy" and a light flick on the back of their hand and redirection. That usually did it...for that day.

It really takes consistent training day to day and using the same words and responses...and it does sink it. I actually like a phrase my friend uses... she says, "No, that's a tool not a toy." (ie. lamp for light, book for reading, etc.)

This of course can apply to other areas as food throwing...just change the response. There really is no perfect formula for what works best with every kid. But once you find out what works best...than consistency is absolutely key!!

Lisa said...

ah... that little angel couldn't possibly do anything to need a spanking! :) But my parents used to smack the hand especially if we were reaching for what we shouldn't touch. (And it really doesn't even take much of a smack)They never rearranged their house or put anything away just because of us kids... and there were FIVE of us! :)