Saturday, June 5, 2010

(insert fitting title here)

I'm a 'reason' person. I have no problem doing the what. I just need to know the why and I'm on board. Well, unless the why is really stupid. Or illegal. Or boring. Or will make me sweat. But normally, I'll help with the what. Especially for doing something life-altering. Like having babies.

When I was in my 20's I felt like there were only a few reasons someone would have kids:
~ Accidentally
~ To fill some emotional void
~ To carry on the family name
~ To help plow the wheat fields in Oklahoma
~ To make a guy stay
~ To get on a reality show

And see, I knew it was life-altering. I felt too few people regard the decision with the amount of gravity it deserves. And none of the above reasons were good enough for me. I felt I was better than all of that.

Until God steps in and starts kicking over all the tables of fear and doubt in your heart and mind. Through books and words from dear friends that I'll never forget, God tore down all my wrong thinking about creating a family and assured me that John and I would have all the tools needed (the how) to grow a child (the what) who would live for God (the why.)

And now that we have made a sweet and precious baby, I can honestly say I believe the part in the bible that says children are a blessing to their parents. I understand the dreams and desires every mom and dad must have down to their core for their children. I echo the fervent prayers from parents everywhere for the safety and protection over their little ones. If I may be so foolish to say, I think I understand a teeny bit more about God's love for us. And as Brooklyn grows and learns, the more I think we'll grow and learn.

I feel like I've been let in on the most wonderfully beautiful secret that there ever was.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Bec, I remember when you were in the place of questioning. What a delight to see how much you and John enjoy God's blessing of Brooklyn. Truly it has been a wonderful transformation to watch. And Brooklyn is incredibly blessed herself...she just doesn't realize it yet. ;)