Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Intracacies of Discipline: a Story of Frustration

I don't even know how to tell this story.

Okay, I ask Brooklyn to do simple things, like "Please come here so we can put on your shoes." I get ignored. So I go pick her up, bring her over and put on her shoes. Frustrating but nothing to go postal over.

"Brooklyn, lets walk to the car...no, don't play with the water fountain. We have to leave." I'm ignored as she stops at every water fountain to push the button and will not follow me even though I walk to the end of the hall and pretend to leave without her. So I back track, pick her up (even though I am already carrying a ton of crap) and carry her to the car. Now I'm getting irritated.

"Brooklyn, you HAVE to hold mommy's hand in the parking lot." She pulls away and refuses to hold my hand. At this point I throw every blessed thing I'm carrying down right in the road and have to grab her before she runs around the car thinking this is some immensely fun game of chase. I force myself to be gentle even though I want to snatch her bald-headed.

What is the deal??

She listens to daddy. She listens to her teachers at daycare.

I'm told I need to be more firm. To get down on her level and look her in the eye. It's true...I do need to be more firm. I don't know how to be firm without getting angry. I don't know how to be patient without letting stuff slide.

Firm and loving. It has to be possible. God is firm and unwaveringly loving.

"Lord, show me how to be both of these and not lose my ever loving mind. Okay, just show me how to be both of these. I'm certain that parenting is going to make me lose my mind anyway. Amen."

2 comments:

Nice Try said...

have you been giving time outs when she doesn't listen? if not, that works like a charm as long as it's done the right way. the show with nanny jo on it teaches time outs great and they work in any situation. :) good luck!

Anna Willassen said...

Hello! I have actually seen this kind of behaviour quite alot with children respecting their mothers less, or at least behaving in a different way towards their mother. Don't know what causes it, but youre not alone! My mother told me I was just like that when I was younger too. I'm quite sure it's just a phase in her life that will soon pass.