Monday, February 23, 2009

The Diary of a Mad White Pregnant Lady

If you want to share stories of how wonderful and fulfilling it is to be a parent....come, share, I'm all ears.

If you want to relay how parenting has changed your life for the better...pull up a chair cuz I'm listening.

If you want to encourage me by saying "You WILL make it through the sleepless nights and when that tender little baby looks up at you it makes it all worth it"....then I'm your girl.

If you want to drone on and one in a mocking way about projectile baby waste or how much stuff you CAN'T do now that you have kids, then seriously....shut the pie hole.

If you want to laugh and snicker with a tone that says "awe, how naive she is" or tell me how I'll have milk stains all over my clothing so I may as well give up on keeping my clothes clean or how babies wreck your house so don't expect to have anything nice for the rest of my life...I couldn't be any less interested.

If you resent your job as a parent or want to spread your own personal misery...I've got no time for that.

I have time for encouragement. I have time for support. Especially from other parents. Parents who should KNOW the rich benefits of support. Do I want to keep my head in the sand about the negative side of parenting? No. Can I imagine that there will be hard times? Yes. Do I know poo & pee & vomit is a very real part of raising a baby? Uh yeah...what goes in must come out. Duh. Do I know my life is going to change? I hope it does change.

Why is it so frickin hard for people to encourage one another? I will NEVER understand the propensity young parents have for trying to scare the crap out of someone starting a new family. It's like they get some sick joy out of it. "Hey, I have an idea! Let me go find people who are really trying to enjoy the experience of parenthood and let me kick their joy parade right in the tidbits! Mwahahahahaha!"

And since I can't stop them (punching people before they even start a sentence only works in my head) I need to learn how to protect myself from it. Live in a cave? No. Cherry-pick the people I associate with for the next 6 months...or forever? I wish. Get one of those remotes Adam Sandler used in 'Click' and initiate the mute button? I wish.

I know I need to toughen up a bit. I don't know how to do that. Stupid people make me mad. I can't help it. But I am open for advice.

3 comments:

Fleur-de-lis and Flourishes said...

Aww Becs ~ I wish I could help but stoopid peeps are a fact of life. When someone starts in, simply walk away when pissible. If you're stuck, get a faraway look in your eyes and think of how wonderful life with Bean will be. Or... puke on their shoes, that would shut them up, huh?

Lisa said...

I love how the above comment uses the word pissible. Might have been a typo, but I've found my new favorite word!

"You're dead to me, you pissible nay sayer!" "Silence, I kill you!"

Rebecca said...

Oh you guys put happies in my heart. Thanks for the laughs. I totally feel better already. ;)