Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Time Out for Color Therapy

So yesterday was a rough day for me, emotionally. Actually both of us. John got to listen to rumors at his company of potential layoffs later this year. Nice kick in the teeth, eh? Add to it that we've been trying to configure a floorplan for Bean's room while keeping all of our own stuff sequestered to the 6.5 x 6.5 walk in closet. Jobless or not, a baby is coming and needs a place to dwell.

We've already packed our attic slap full, cut ties with things we really don't need to hang on to, and it still won't all fit in a way that won't make us insane to go into the room. I REFUSE to throw more out. So we came to terms with the fact that the nursery will have to be a nursery/office. I really hate it but there is no other way around it. Now the huge task is configuring everything in a way that we both like. I've got my priorities and John has his. Which is totally fine but of course they don't match. I guess it is what you get when you live in a cracker box and can't buy a bigger house because your job may not be around next year. Wow, I had better stop describing yesterday because I can totally feel the frustration coming on again.

To keep from imploding, I took a break from trying to fit 20 lbs of life in a 5 lb room. I can't worry about the job sitch since there isn't anything we can do about it anyway. Because colors and patterns always make me happy I started researching crib sets. John and I like the idea of not having a theme sewn into the fabric. For example, John loves airplanes for our son's room and I would love lambs and sheep for our daughter. We don't really want to have blankets or curtains with airplanes or animals on them. We'd rather decorate with gender specific colors and use wall art or toys as the 'theme.' This way we aren't replacing curtains as Bean grows and changes his/her mind about what theme she/he likes.

So I present the bedding I love for a girl's room. How cute will this look with a stuffed sheep or rocking-horse style lamb in the corner?




And this is the bedding we love for a boy's room:



The color therapy totally works because I get happy just looking at these pictures again. I think they will work well into toddler-hood.

Please God, I beg you, please let us keep our jobs and help us find a bigger house between now and toddler-hood. And keep us at peace until those days arrive. Thanks in advance. Amen.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

And I love that the girl stuff is girly without being pepto bismal - or pepto abysmal. :)

Rebecca said...

"abysmal" always makes me think of Joey from Friends.