Friday, February 20, 2009

Yesterday's Appointment

So it was an easy doctor visit. I didn't have to undress and wear a paper "robe" - and I use the term 'robe' VERY loosely - which is always refreshing. We got to hear Bean's heart beat. It does make it seem a smidge more real to me. There is a whole host of development processes going on and even though I can't see or feel them, we can hear the evidence. Bean has a precious tiny heart that is speedily pumping blood everywhere it needs to go. Wow.

We opted NOT to do the genetic screening. Maybe other people want to know if there is a propensity for your kid coming out with some type of genetic mutation, and that is totally fine. I personally don't want any doctor's report messing with my faith in God giving us a perfectly healthy baby.

We found out that I have A- blood while John has B+. I guess back in the day this would have been a problem for me if Bean develops blood that is +, but now there is a simple shot that I'll get twice before baby arrives that will keep me safe during delivery.

We also found out that in 6 weeks Bean's gender will no longer be a mystery, known only to God. April 3rd, what a marvelous day that will be. How anyone can wait until birth to know if they are having a son or daughter really beats me.

I'm trying so hard not to imagine what parenthood will be like. I'm quite sure there is nothing that can prepare you for the overwelming new feelings, etc. And any details I imagine will be just that, my foggiest ideas. There are some things John and I ARE sure about. We want our kid(s) to have happy memorable childhoods like we had. We've both been sharing the things our folks did with us that really stand out. I'd love to combine all these things, and even some new, for Bean to experience.

Am I starting to get maternal? Yay!

1 comment:

Fleur-de-lis and Flourishes said...

Thanks for sharing this amazing event with us Becs ~ Bean is very blessed to have you and John as her parnets. Your combination of faith, intelligence, humor and love for each other will serve you well in giving Bean an amzingly great childhood!